Say it with me, Spicy BLT Avocado Toast. Perhaps I should start off by saying that I did not think I liked avocado for the longest time. I know, I know. What type of self-respecting southern Californian does not like avocado? I swear I did not. Boy, I have never been so happy to prove myself wrong.
As part of my Tay Tastes Things (again)! Series, I decided to put avocado to the test. Now, I could not just do it any ole kind of way; I had to be different. Therefore, I took something I knew I liked, the BLT, and mixed it with something I was not sure I liked. It was a hit!
That being said, I still do not slather avocado on everything. Oddly enough, I have to continue to remind myself I enjoy the fruit. Since it is after Thanksgiving and I have a couple of pounds of turkey to get through, I am thinking now it is the time to start slicing and smearing avocado on turkey sandwiches. Turkey BLT with avocado and sliced cheddar cheese sounds like a winner to me. Oh, come on! Bacon and turkey go hand-in-hand, same with bacon and avocado, including cheddar, bacon, and avocado. It is a win-win situation!
Eventually, I will start cozying up with my newfound love on other culinary applications. For now, I want to take my time to really get to know them. It may take a little bit to integrate avocado into my life, and the Spicy BLT Avocado Toast is the vehicle to usher me into new foodie delights.
I hope you give Spicy BLT Avocado Toast a whirl. At the very least, try something new this week! Enjoy!
- Toaster or Broiler
- Frying pan or sheet pan
- ½ large hass avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice (fresh-squeezed)
- ½ tsp granulated garlic powder
- ½ tsp granulated onion powder
- kosher salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 slices bacon (thick-cut)
- 8 grape tomatoes (large, sliced in half)
- 12 slices pickled jalapenos (or fresh)
- 1 handful spring mix
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 2 slices bread (of choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake bacon for 15 minutes, drain on paper towels.
- Toast the bread to the desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add avocado, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Mix spring mix and baby spinach together in a small bowl.
- Spread avocado mixture over the toast and top with tomato, jalapeno, and spring mix mixture.
- Slice in half if desired, then enjoy!